“This veggie burrito recipe is not only delicous, but actually healthy for you. Try this meat-free alternative to one of my favorite dishes.”
– Anthony Martin, PA-C
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, ribs removed and diced small
- 1 cup well-rinsed quinoa
- 1 1/4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 juice of lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- Shredded Montery Jack cheese
- Whole-grain tortillas
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and jalapeno, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken broth, quinoa, blackbeans, chopped tomatoes, zucchini, chili powder, cumin and salt.
- Stir well and bring everything to a boil, cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Add teh diced avocado, chopped cilantro, and lime jice to the cooked quinoa mixture.
- Place a tortilla in a dry skillet over medium heat. Add shredded cheese to one half of the tortilla. Flip the other half over like you're making a quesadilla and let the cheese melt.
- Once the cheese has melted, pile on the quinoa mixture. Wrap up the burrito and enjoy!