Protein-packed, inexpensive lentils and heart-smart green beans atop whole-grain brown rice with a sweet, tangy mustard sauce makes a delicious meal, hot or cold.
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 4 cups (about 16 oz) green beans (frozen is fine)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Bring the brown rice and 1 ¼ cups of water to a boil in a medium pot. Cover and reduce heat so it’s at a steady simmer for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all the water.
- While the rice is cooking, put green lentils and 1 ¼ cups of water into another medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat so it’s at a steady simmer, and cover, simmering for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils have absorbed all the water.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk the garlic, olive oil, 2 tablespoons water, apple cider vinegar, dill, and mustard together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Steam the green beans. Start with a splash of water in a medium pan over medium heat, then add the beans. Cover and heat for about 5 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Combine the rice, lentils, cumin, and tomato. Top with the dressing.