The all-American apple pie gets a healthy makeover.
- 1 1/3 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups apple, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup walnuts, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line the bottom of an 8-inch springform or removable-bottom tart pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry crust ingredients. Stir in the oil and water. Transfer the dough to the pan and press it into the pan. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the apple and sweetener in a bowl, then spread evenly over the baked crust when it’s ready.
- Combine the crumble topping ingredients into another bowl and sprinkle evenly atop the apples. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until apples are soft and tender. Allow to cool 20 minutes before removing from the pan.