DFD’s helpful tips for a fun and safe school year.
Class is back in session and DFD is here to help get your child;s school year off to a safe and healthy start.
Your child’s backpack should:
- Have a padded back
- Have wide, padded shoulder straps
- Be the right fit: below the shoulder blades and right at the waist
School Bus Rules
When getting on the bus, remind your children to:
- Stay away from traffic when waiting for the bus
- Line up away from the street or road as the bus approaches
- Wait until the bus has completely stopped and the door opens before entering
While riding the bus, remind your children to:
- Buckle up if seat belts are available
- Stay in their seat
- Keep aisles clear of books and bags
- Wait for the bus to completely stop before getting up from your seat
When getting off the bus, remind your children to:
- Use the handrail when exiting the bus
- Make sure the driver can see them
- Stay away from the rear wheels at all times
- When crossing the street, wait for a signal from the bus driver
Stop bullying in its tracks.
Make sure your kids are ready for a kind and caring school year. Remind them that bullying is never ok.
- 30% of young people admit to bullying others
- 28% of students in grades 6-12 experience bullying
- When bystanders intervene, bullying stops within 10 seconds