An always in-season, American classic.Print Recipe
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or whatever flour you have on hand)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cup raw chopped pecans (or whichever nuts you prefer)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 5 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 baking pan with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Make the topping: combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add in butter pieces. Using your fingers (or a fork or pastry cutter) squeeze all ingredients until entire mixture becomes crumbly and feels like wet sand.
- Once mixed and crumbly, place topping in the fridge.
- To make filling: place apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla extract in a large bowl, tossing to combine. Allow mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
- Take about 1/3 cup of the topping mixture and toss with the apple mixture. Place in the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining topping mixture.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!