A perfectly balanced side dish with fresh produce.Print Recipe
- Category: Salads + Sides
For the Salad
- Flaky sea salt, for finishing
- 16 fresh basil leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 4 small cucumbers, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds of your favorite flavorful tomato, cored and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 box of croutons, or homemade if preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 4 very ripe small tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
For the Tomato Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
For the dressing:
- Stir together shallots and vinegars in a medium sized bowl.
- Cut tomatoes in half and grate cut sides on a large box grater until just the skins remain. Discard skins.
- Set aside 1 cup tomato pulp. (Reserve the rest for another use.)
- Stir tomato pulp, oil, basil leaves, smashed garlic, and salt into vinegar mixture. Let stand 10 minutes for flavors to meld.
- Remove and discard garlic. Taste dressing and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Set aside 1 ¼ cups dressing. (Reserve remaining for another use.)
For the salad:
- Toss together sliced onion and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside 20 minutes. This will “quick pickle” your onions and help to remove their raw, bitter taste.
- Place half of your croutons in a large bowl and toss with ½ cup dressing. Then place bite sized tomatoes on top and season with ½ teaspoon salt. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Remove onions from vinegar, saving the vinegar.
- Add onions, cucumbers, basil, and remaining croutons to bowl with your tomatoes.
- Add vinegar from the onions, ¾ teaspoon salt and ¾ cup of your dressing. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt for finishing (optional). Best enjoyed fresh!