Summer is finally coming to an end, and it’s time to start gearing up for another school year. We’ve got a list of tips to help make your students ready for a fun and safe school year.
Backpacks that are too heavy can cause back and shoulder pain and promote poor posture for your kids. Your child’s backpack should weigh no more than ten percent of your child’s weight, and they should always use both shoulder straps.
When selecting a backpack look for:
- Wide, padded shoulder straps.
- A padded back.
- Multiple compartments to better distribute the weight.
- The correct size–never wider or longer than your child’s torso, and never hanging more than 4 inches below the waist.
Bullying is Never OK:
Bullying can have life-long effects on our children. You can help prevent bullying by educating your kids at home:
- Teach your child when and how to ask a trusted adult for help.
- Be sure your child knows that bullying is never OK.
- Encourage your child to include all students/peers in activities they are participating in.
Develop Good Homework Habits:
Getting back into the swing of a school schedule can be tough after a summer packed with fun. Help your child develop good homework habits and to avoid schoolwork frustration:
- Schedule ample time for homework–this provides consistency for your child to get in the habit of sitting down and completing homework.
- Supervise internet use–The internet is a useful tool for students, but can also be an easy distraction.
- Be available to assist your child with homework but never do homework for them.
Schedule a Visit with DFD:
Make sure your child is up-to-date with their well-child visits, immunizations, and sports physicals. Call to schedule an appointment today!