Every eight seconds someone needs a poison control center and there are over 2 million poison exposures each year in the United States. Poisons are all around us and can affect anyone, anywhere and at any time. However, poisonings are preventable and treatable.
Know the risks and facts about poison to protect you and your family.
- Drug-related poisonings cause nearly 70,000 visits to hospital emergency rooms.
- Poisonings cause more than 35,000 deaths each year.
- Children under age six account for half of all poison exposures.
- 9 out of 10 poisoning deaths occur among people over the age of 20.
- The top five causes of poisoning are:
- Cosmetics or personal products
- Household cleaning products
- Sedatives, hypnotics and antipsychotics medicine
- Foreign bodies, toys and other objects
- Never mix household or chemical products together. Doing so can create a dangerous gas.
- Never share prescription medicines. If you are taking more than one drug at a time, check with your health care provider to find out more about possible drug interactions.
- Keep all chemicals, household cleaners, medicines and potentially poisonous substances in locked cabinets or out of reach of children.
If you suspect someone has been poisoned call Poison Help at 1-800-222-1222